At-Home Treatment Options For Slip And Fall Injuries

Posted on

Slip and fall injuries are common in the workplace. Many times, neither the employee nor the employer are at fault; however, at other times, the employer may be found to be negligent. If "wet floor" signs are not put up after the floor is washed, and an employee slips and falls, the employer may be held responsible.

If you are injured as a result of a workplace slip and fall accident, an injury treatment services physician will develop your treatment plan based upon the extent of your injuries. Here are some at-home treatment options to help keep you comfortable after your accident until you can see your work injury doctors.

Cold Therapy First

If you've sprained your ankle or hurt your arm when you fell, apply an ice pack or cold compress to the affected area as soon as you can. Cold helps to reduce swelling and decrease pain, but be sure to use a barrier, such as a towel, between your skin and the ice pack so that you do not injure your skin.

After the swelling goes down, apply a warm compress or a heating pad to your injury, instead of an ice pack. Although heat may help relieve your pain, it may actually cause an increase in soft tissue inflammation if applied too soon. Heat therapy enhances blood flow and promotes healing, and it is also is very soothing and may help promote relaxation so that you can sleep at night. Keep your heating pad on a low setting, and turn it off before going to sleep. 

Take The Right Pain Relievers

The pain from a slip and fall injury can range from mildly uncomfortable to excruciatingly painful. Take an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory pain reliever soon after you fall. It will quickly decrease your pain and reduce inflammation.

It is important that the swelling of your soft tissue subsides as soon as possible because, if your doctor recommends an x-ray, he or she may be unable to determine if a bone is fractured if it is obscured by inflamed tissue. If you are unable to take ibuprofen or other anti-inflammatory medications, you can take acetaminophen. While it may relieve your pain, it does little to reduce inflammation.

If you slip and fall on the job, see your doctor right away. In the meantime, consider the above interventions. If you are permanently disabled as a result of your accident, contact a personal injury lawyer. You may be entitled to a settlement if your employer's negligence caused your accident.